Water Scarcity

I guess this is one of some typical problems in developing countries: water scarcity!

Yes, I have to face that problem now although I stay at the 3rd biggest city in Indonesia! If I stay in an island, then I don’t expect much about it. But since I still stay in the mainland, of course I wouldn’t anticipate this at all.

So what happened to me these days; every morning me and my friend have to wait in our terrace. We wait for our neighbors who try to pump the groundwater with electric pump. If one succeeds, then the whole street will go there to collect the water.

But one thing I just knew now. This groundwater source is only last for some time. For example, one day my neighbor who lives directly on the right side got the water. We collect the water for some time until it doesn’t come out anymore. Then in the next day, it’s my neighbor, who lives 2 houses on the right side, who got the water. So it’s not fixed everyday. And I guess that’s the challenge (and of course frustration!).

My strategy for this situation, I just have one big shower everyday. If I don’t sweat so much, then I just have light shower which I called ‘cat bath’ or mandi kucing in Indonesian. Somehow I think this situation is funny, comparing to my life in Germany. In Germany, we don’t need to have shower everyday because the weather is mostly cold. I remember, even after my daily one-hour walk, most of the time I don’t take any shower. In Indonesia, the weather is hot and humid, so having shower twice a day is a regular norm. How come in a country where having shower everyday isn’t necessary, the water is always available; while in a country where having shower twice a day is a must, the water is scarce. Ironic, huh?!

If I need more water for washing my clothes or my hair, then I use drinking water which can be bought in gallon bottle. Oh well, maybe I can be as beautiful as Demi Moore. I heard she washes her hair using Evian.

Don’t ask about water for cooking. We don’t cook anymore as we would need more water rather than if we just buy ready-made foods. So yes, it’s an expensive life style :(

No comments: